Information security is no doubt a vital part of an organisation’s administration and is necessary to safeguard their confidential data or information from being leaked or lost due to malicious practices.
As explained by NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology), information security management is crucial for protecting both information and information technology (IT) systems of an organisation from unauthorized access, misuse, disclosure, or destruction. A crucial tool that aids organisations in tightening their information security is ISO 27001 certification. It specifies regulations and restrictive practices that every organisation needs to adopt for substantiating their information security management system (ISMS) and thereby protecting their data effectively.
Why Information Security is Inherently Important Today
From multinational organisations to small business enterprises, no one today can deny the importance of information security in their corporate management framework because of the extensive use of technology and devices in all processes. This is also a reason for growing threats of cybercrimes and security breaches. Thus, to avoid such unforeseen circumstances, organisations need an information security management.
To help you further understand its importance, here are some crucial points to consider:
• One of the key reasons for protecting the information is to maintain confidentiality so that no unauthorized person or group can get their private details, retrieve them, and use them for their own purposes.
• An organisation must uphold the integrity of information that it collects from its customers, partners, employees or any stakeholders needs to be ensured. The accuracy of information also needs to be maintained because organisations make their most crucial business decisions based on it.
• Some data/information is used by organisation’s members for different purposes and has to be made easily accessible to them at any time. In order to protect such information from being mishandled, destroyed, or accessed by any suspicious persons, only the essential members should be provided the details to access it.
• A coherent information security framework will help the organisation to support their ethical and governmental responsibilities regarding data protection.
Now, that you know why managing information security is crucial for any organisation, irrespective of its business or functions, let talk about how to do it.
Tips to Strengthen Your Organisation’s Information Security
Formulate a Sound Policy for Information Security
The first step for enforcing a uniform ISMS in your business is devising a strict policy. When certain practices and rules for securing information are established by your top management team in the form of a policy, each member or employee is bound to follow. A policy should be formed only after evaluating your information systems and processes and identifying the probable risks in them. You may need to discuss with employees regarding that and decide the appropriate securities required. Once you have formed a sound policy of information security practices, get it communicated to every member to ensure uniform application of the practices with awareness training. Some effective practices that must be included in an information security policy are:
• Authorized access control
• Data classification
• Multifactor authentication for passwords protection
• Security regarding remote access
• Regular backups
• Firewalls and anti-virus
• Malicious code protection
Implement ISO 27001 Standard
As mentioned earlier, ISO 27001 certification will serve as an important tool to enhance the effectiveness of your ISMS and make every member, external partners and customers feel confident in your organisation’s security efforts. To get your organisation certified, first require senior leadership to document and support the implementation of a uniform ISMS across your organisation. Following that, it may be helpful to enlist professional consultancy from an expert certification agency to make your ISMS compliant in every way with the ISO 27001 standard. Training of employees, ISMS auditing, and readiness review are some essential steps that an ISO consultant can help you through to get the certification.
Evaluate Your Information Security Performance
Lastly, do not forget to maintain the consistency of your ISMS framework and also keep its certification. You need to periodically review your security performance, evaluate all practices, discover new risks and keep your security policy updated with the latest technology.
Wrapping Things Up
Information security is today an important aspect for organisational management for preventing damage to their confidentiality and loss of reputation. Moreover, security breaches or cyber-attacks result in disruption of operations which will bring monetary losses for businesses. So, without a second thought, prepare a binding policy for the information security of your organisation and get an ISMS based on it.
We, at Compliancehelp, can help you achieve ISO 27001 certification for your ISMS to bolster your established ISMS framework and keep your clients’ confidence in you strong. Get in touch with our experts!
Like the blog? To get more such informative write-ups on business management and certifications, keep following this section!
Get connected with us on social networks!